Last spring, the Newark Housing Authority Scholarship Foundation announced its annual scholarship program for high school students planning to attend college in September of 2017. The scholarships were awarded based on academic achievement, extracurricular and community activities and financial need.
Entries were submitted and forwarded for judging to the reviewing committee who selected seven students to receive a four year scholarship in the amount of $8,000 each. To continue receipt of funds, recipients must maintain a 2.5 GPA in college. The goal is to increase the number of young people who graduate from college by providing financial and life skills support.
We are pleased to announce all of our winners (from left to right):
- Najm Beyah – North Star Academy Preparatory High School (Caldwell University)
- Tamara Conner – University High School (Franklin & Marshall College)
- Al-Tajuan Fair – Peoples Prep Charter School (Allegheny College)
- Ayonna Howard – American History High School (Montclair State University)
- Ashley Santana-Garcia – American History High School (Montclair State University)
- Nazmir Shorter – Marion P. Thomas Charter High (William Paterson University)
- Marisol Soto – Bard High School (Rutgers University -Newark)
Congratulations to all of our winners!